Saturday, June 8, 2013

Chaper 1

Somewhere south of Jersey, a telephone was ringing. Alex tossed and turned, trying to shut out the constant ringing. Rolling over to look at the clock, she grabbed for the phone.

"Someone better be very sick or dying to call me at 3 am in the morning." Alexis grumbled into the receiver.

"Alexandra dear," she heard a voice over the receiver. Somewhere in the back of her mind she remembered that voice.

"It's Carol Dear." the voice said

Alex nearly dropped the phone. What was Mrs. Bon Jovi doing calling her at 3 am in the morning?

"I guess you're wondering why I'm calling you at this hour, She said.

Alex turned on the beside lamp and waited for Mrs. B., as the members of the fan club called her, to explain.

"I just got off the phone with Anita." Alex knew that Mrs. B. and Anita were old friends. "It seems that your name came up." Alex continued to listen. "We were talking about the fact that I, Well, We need you."

Alex was mildly shocked. They have been talking about her and they need her?

"I know it's early and my mind is still asleep, but what can I do to help you, Mrs. B.?"

Alex was more confused the more she thought about the request. Mrs. B. seemed to collect her thoughts.

"Well dear, Anita told me you used to work with kids."

"Yes, I did years ago," Alex replied, "I worked in a day care center." Well, Alex thought , it isn't for the fan club, Matt was handling that now.
"It will hit the news," Mrs B. said, " so I guess if you are going to help me you need to know the reason."

Alex had gotten out of bed and headed into the kitchen. In the past when Mrs. B had called her, they had been on the phone for over an hour. She reached into the fridge and got out a car of Dr Pepper. Leaning back on the counter, after closing the fridge, she popped the top and took a long swallow.

Mrs B cleared her throat and said in a tired voice.

"Dorothea had filed for divorce at the beginning of tour and she just brought the kids over to Mr. B. and Myself."

The can of Dr Pepper landed on the floor spewing cold cola all over the floor. Alex began to choke on the swallow she had just taken.

1 comment:

  1. I read this over on Jovination but I loved it so much I am reading it again.

    You have a gift for storytelling, Alice.

    ReplyDelete